Job #: 2020-028
Location: Houston, TX or Midland, TX
Type: Regular, Full-Time, exempt
Centurion Pipeline is actively seeking an experienced and motivated individual to fill the position of Construction Manager, based in Houston or Midland, Texas. This role is responsible for the safe and efficient management and execution of pipeline facilities construction under the direction of Engineering management and with Operations support.
This position manages construction and inspection crews, ensures adherence to state and local codes, laws and other compliance requirements within the Oil and Gas Industry and works closely with engineering with respect to design and management of midstream projects.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Accountable for front end construction planning, estimate development and analysis and the management of assigned construction activities related to pipeline, pump station, and tank construction and repair projects.
- Strong safety emphasis for all field construction activities, with a goal of zero recordable injuries.
- Manage budgeted financial resources to achieve the delivery of construction projects on time and within budget.
- Responsible for the development and maintenance of departmental manuals including; Welding Manual, Construction Specifications Manual, and Inspectors Guidebook.
- Responsible for ensuring construction projects are performed in accordance with applicable Centurion, Federal and State pipeline safety standards and practices.
- Monitors documentation control and filing systems to assure the ready storage and retrieval of project documents, records, and reports.
- Maintains close communications with the Project Manager, Construction Coordinator and Client Representative to report survey progress, problems with and possible resolution to issues hampering project survey completion.
- At project completion, supervises the preparation and submission of the complete documentation for all survey activities performed into a project completion package.
- Overseeing projects for compliance, auditing any permit systems used, performing periodic inspections, verifying job documentation is properly collected and assist with incident investigations.
- Managing risk by identifying and reviewing risks on the contractor work site, working with contractors to mitigate risk and informing management as appropriate.
- Oversight of contractor activities to ensure projects are executed in a safe, secure and environmentally sound manner.
- Developing an Inspector Database to track qualified inspector availability, training and certification and job performance.
- Develop a guideline and set of procedures to standardize expectations and deliverables for all construction inspectors working on Centurion Pipeline projects.
- Reporting. Developing and distributing current reports regarding project status.
- Networking with industry peers and conducting research to ascertain potential best practices for adoption into Centurion Pipeline practices, processes and procedures for Contractors.
- Contribute to the engineering phase of projects through participation in constructability reviews and providing feedback on proposed project scopes.
- Direct company and contract inspection personnel overseeing construction projects, including determination of work assignments, schedules and priorities, direction of work, and employee development and training, and ensure appropriate levels of oversight of contractors are achieved.
- Collaborate with operations, engineering and business development peers to develop and implement construction costs savings early in the project life-cycle.
- Support the development of project scope of work and contracting language in conjunction with Supply Chain and Project Management.
- Support the development of preliminary scope of work and cost estimates for future projects by providing man-power, scheduling, and constructability details in regards to both pre-construction and construction activities.
- Safe and reliable construction of pipeline, pump stations, and tank systems.
- Uniform, practical implementation of construction policies and procedures.
- Maximum satisfaction of both new and existing internal and external customers, and their requirements.
- Project completion within budget with cost variances justified.
- Compliance by contractors and Company personnel with applicable codes and regulations.
- Use organizational skills to build successful teams for completion of project tasks.
- Provide operational feedback to engineering.
- Solicit and evaluate bids for services and materials.
- Understands laws, codes, safety guidelines and regulations addressing construction projects.
- Negotiates contracts with vendors, contractors and sub-contractors.
- Possesses advanced knowledge of construction trades.
- Creates and maintains budgets and tracks daily construction costs in concise and organized manner.
- Compliance by contractors and Company personnel with contractual requirements.
- Ensure that contractor disputes are equitably resolved on a timely basis.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Travel up to 60% of the time.
- 15 years pipeline facilities construction management work experience, including 7 years direct construction supervisory experience and experience managing pipeline facilities construction through contractor resources. Bachelor's degree is a plus.
- Working knowledge of contract administration, federal, state and local construction regulations, piping systems, and installation of crude oil transmission and distribution systems.
- Basic familiarity with crude oil pipeline and tank operations, SCADA, electrical and instrumentation systems.
- Strong understanding of industry welding requirements and procedures as well as non-destruction evaluation (NDE) methodologies.
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office software including MS Project, MS Word and MS Excel.
- Ability to successfully negotiate business agreements and to resolve disputes.
- Ability to conceptualize and analyze multiple scenarios in solving broadly defined business problems and project construction related solutions.
- Experience coordinating multiple parties (through in/direct authority/influence) to the successful completion of the project.
- Ability to lead and participate in collaborative behavior.
- Ability to effectively communicate complex messages to diverse audiences at all organization levels. Ability to coordinate diverse activities to set timelines, budgets and specifications.
- Industry certifications (API, ASNT, CWI, NACE, etc) are a plus.
Physical and Environment Work Requirements:
Must be able to:
- Carry and lift items that weigh up to 50 lbs.
- Stand, walk, climb, bend, stoop, and squat, often for long periods of time.
- Work with appropriate PPE (Personal Protection Equipment).
- Walk several miles a day, sometimes in rough terrain, in order to supervise the activities in the field.
- Perform job duties in a variety of terrain and extreme climates including desert heat. Will likely be exposed to a variety of plants (poison ivy, oak, and sumac) and creatures such as bears, snakes, spiders, insects, and other wildlife.
- Work in an environment that will include loud noises.
- Significant driving distances to/from remote construction sites in addition to normal work hours.